CASSINI AND V'GER

With Cassini having plunged into the unfathomable depths of Saturn, I had to wipe a few tears. The mission has been completed, so much is clear. But I could see the look in the eyes of the mission controllers as if they were hoping for a miracle: Cassini would transmit: "I'm not done yet, I overshoot Saturn for a visit to Uranus and Neptune, if you're okay with that". But of course that wouldn't happen, although the thought crossed my mind that in the afterlife one might run into Cassini once more... As if it were alive, with thoughts and feelings. Quite like V'ger (Voyager 6 in "Star Trek: The Motion Picture").

Back to reality: Cassini wasn't our latest or last probe into the depth of space. Mankind keeps building new and more intelligent space missions, because what we already achieved is quite a lot, but still just not enough. Therefore I truly hope that we keep educating brilliant youngsters who keep up the good work that somany cosmo-, astro-, spacetime- and quantumscientists are already performing or have been performing, for the sake of better understanding the universe that surrounds us. If there is a chance to resettle Earth's population anywhere in the future on another home planet, or just visit and explore other worlds, we will find a way of travelling large distances. The challenge is not just that, but to grasp how it all works or can be positively influenced. Keep asking weird questions, research, investigate, experiment, because curiosity is the meaning of life.

Please let me know how you think about funding all the expensive missions into space. Do not hesitate to send your comments; if in my humble opinion they are worth publishing, I will do so. And of course, I very much appreciate if experts on these subjects submit their views. Would you then please add your own brief ‘about me’?

<<

Comments